In honor of the Global Alliance’s 100th anniversary, we are having a contest for high school students in the Baltimore area. Contest submissions must address the question: What is a socially connected and just community?
The winners will be announced at the Coming Together for Action 2022 Conference in Baltimore, Maryland.
- There will be two categories for submissions: Written or Fine Arts (details below).
- There will be six (6) finalists (3 in each category) with one (1) winner selected in each category.
- The contest will open on September 6, 2022, and close on October 5, 2022, at 12:00 p.m. Eastern. Submit online now
- Finalists and winners will be notified the week of October 16, 2022.
- All finalists will receive a free ticket to the Coming Together For Action 2022 conference held October 28-30. For finalists under 18, a second registration will be issued for a parent or guardian. Additional tickets can be purchased at a community rate. Winners will be recognized and receive their award during the conference.
- Winners will also receive a $25 Starbucks Gift Card.
Fine Arts Submission
- Submission must be original content written in a format selected by the individual (i.e. essay/poem) and developed for the purpose of this contest.
- Submission must be a maximum of 3 pages.
- Submission must be original content developed for the purpose of this contest. Visual or fine art submissions include but are not limited to photography, storytelling, mixed-media, video, music, dance, performance, fine arts.
- Submission must include a written description of the piece (maximum 250 words.)
The Global Alliance strongly believes that art and culture are central to well-being. They provide purpose, connection, and context for key issues. Celebrating and elevating the creativity of young people provides a pathway to understanding experiences that we all must recognize to achieve healthy and just communities.
Rules & Eligibility
- The contest is open to any student enrolled in a Baltimore high school.
- For any contestant under the age of 18, a consent form must be signed by a parent or guardian
- The immediate family (people living under the same roof) of employees and/or Board Members of the Global Alliance are not eligible for this contest.
- By submitting, you grant the Global Alliance permission to share and reproduce your content.
Please submit your completed application by October 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM EST.
If the applicant is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign the consent waiver at the time of submission.
Aaliyah Niara M. is the CEO for GH Designs, a creative agency that provides Graphic and Website Design services. GH Design’s work has been featured by Fox News45, Sheen Magazine, Young Black Artist, Voyage Magazine, Vogue, and more. Aaliyah is a recipient of the Paypal Empowerment Award, and has worked on 200+ projects. Currently, Aaliyah is working towards accomplishing her 400+ design goal and growing her company into a full-service agency.
Erin is proud to be a part of the This is My Brave team as Interim Executive
Director. Following the suicide of her son, Jay, in 2016, Erin and her husband
became passionate mental health advocates and have worked tirelessly to
influence policy on appropriate responses to suicide warning signs, particularly in
the public schools. She enjoys working with the This Is My Brave team and
volunteers towards ending the stigma associated with mental health and substance use disorders in honor of Jay.
Mia Campbell is a trauma-informed yoga instructor, creator, and student-researcher who is passionate about adolescent mental
health, movement, and holistic wellness. A doctoral student at the Bloomberg School of Public Health (Baltimore, MD, USA,) she uses epidemiological methods in her research to assess mental health inequities among adolescents. She began showcasing her mixed media art on her website MyInnerAura.com during the early stages of the pandemic and found it to be truly healing and liberating. “It’s beautiful,” she says, “to see others find healing and space to process through the arts.”
Please contact gro.e1701432361citsu1701432361jhb@e1701432361cnere1701432361fnoc1701432361 with the subject line “Youth Contest”.